Creating a data model (BizDataX Designer)
The data model in BizDataX Designer is created based on the BizDataX Portal data model, or it can be a smaller data set, depending on what is selected from the BizDataX Portal.
The point here is to create a data model based on the data model from the Portal, which will contain what will actually be masked - schemas and tables containing columns with sensitive data found during discovery and defined within the specification.
Import from the BizDataX Portal into the BizDataX Designer
Once the environment is created on the BizDataX Portal, the creation of a data model can begin.
- To import data from the BizDataX Portal right-click the project in the Solution Explorer window and select the Import Portal Data option.
Figure 1: Import Portal Data
- On the Import Portal Data pop-up, all projects created on the BizDataX
Portal are displayed. Select the project and click the Next button.
Figure 2: Import Portal Data - select the project to import
- On the Portal Data Selection, projects, data sources, schemas, tables, and columns of the selected project can be selected.
- The table node level uses different symbols for selecting a column to be imported,
and primary key columns will always have a yellow background.
By clicking on the checkbox next to the name of the column you can cycle through columns status symbols to choose how the column is going to be imported:
- the column will not be imported
- the column will be imported as read-only
- the column will be imported as a read/write column
Note: If more than one environment exists per data source, only the schemas, tables, and columns that exist in all environments could be selected for import.
- In this example, only CreditCard and Customer tables will be imported, as the columns FirstName from each were marked as columns with sensitive data that needs to be masked. Mark only these two tables. It is not a mistake to import everything, but it is not necessary.
Figure 3: Import Portal Data - select schemas, tables, and columns to import
- To start the portal data import process, click the Finish button.
- If a Security warning dialog opens, click the OK button, since it warns about the start of a code generation process BizDataX Designer is executing.
- After the import is successfully finished, the BizDataXProjectData.xml file is added to the project, with nested T4 and CS files of the same name.
Note: installation of required NuGet packages (database handlers) is automatically performed as part of the import process and depends on the selected analyzer type. The Package Manager Console provides information about the successful completion of the installation. The installation and update of required NuGet packages can be done manually as well.
Building a project
- To finish creating a data model, build the project.
- after the project is successfully built, table activities that are going to be used when creating a masking workflow in one of the next steps of this guide can now be found in the Toolbox.
Figure 4: Created table activities